What is the difference between ERFA and Armour Thyroid tablets?
Armour® Thyroid Tablets
Allergan™ distributes Armour® Thyroid (thyroid tablets, USP) in the USA in the following strengths:
- 15mg (1/4 grain)
- 30mg (1/2 grain)
- 60mg (1 grain)
- 120mg (2 grain)
- 180mg (3 grain)
- 240mg (4 grain)
- 300mg (5 grain)
- Armour® Thyroid provides 38mcg T4 and 9mcg T3 per grain of thyroid
- The ratio works out to approximately 4.2 T4: 1 T3.
The active ingredient (desiccated natural thyroid) in Armour® Thyroid (thyroid tablets, USP) is derived from porcine (pig) thyroid glands.
ERFA® Thyroid Tablets
EFRA™ distributes ERFA® Thyroid (desiccated thyroid) in Canada in strengths of 30mg, 60mg, and 125mg.
- In each EFRA® Thyroid 30mg tablet there is 18mcg of T4 and 4mcg of T3;
- In each EFRA® Thyroid 60mg tablet there is 35mcg of T4 and 8mcg of T3;
- In each EFRA® Thyroid 125mg tablet there is 73mcg of T4 and 17mcg of T3.
- The ratio is 4.5 T4: 1 T3.
EFRA® Thyroid tablets contain desiccated thyroid containing lactose, derived from porcine thyroid glands.
Note that T4 is converted to T3 in your body.
Further information on EFRA can be found at the following link: Learn More
If you have questions about thyroid medications, please contact our pharmacy Toll Free 1-800-991-0282. We are always happy to answer your questions.